Sunday, June 3, 2012

Amalfi Coast, Italia!

Having traveled so much throughout Europe this semester, I am constantly faced with the question, "So, which city/country was your favorite". While I will save the other two of the top three for my final trip reflection I will say, without a doubt, that the Amalfi Coast of Italy easily earned a spot on top. From the hidden electric blue grottos, to island chairlifts into heaven, and oceanfront authentic towns whose streets meander through the Italian cliffside, the Amalfi Coast captures not only the essence of Italian charm but also the hearts of all who visit.

For the duration of our trip we stayed in Sorrento in the Seven Hostel which, again, seemed more like a luxury resort. This entire year I have been hopping around from "hostel" to "hostel" but, I must admit, between the sauna and pool in the Berlin hostel, to the swinging hammocks and beach front views in Canoa, Ecuador, I have rarely ever felt like I was in a hostel... well, besides the fact that I have been sharing rooms with 10 other people here and there. We chose to travel to the Amalfi Coast with Bus2Alps, the same program with whom I went to Switzerland in January. Bus2Alps is wonderful because you have the opportunity to not only have your entire trip planned out including many a discount but also, you are traveling with a plethora of other students from many different universities making the entire retreat seem like a more cultured Cancun spring break. Although the Amalfi Coast is overwhelmingly beautiful I would have to admit it fails in comparison to the sexy group of BC students of which our group comprised... perhaps the perfect combination of adventurous souls and social animals.


The first stop was the island of Capri which, to be specific, would win the spot in the Top 3 of Europe. When we arrived to the island we were greeted by the most stereotypical group of Asian tourists on a smaller boat next to us. With binoculars in hand, and visor on head, these Asian tourists held nothing back when the YMCA came on... great start to any morning. What made the morning even better was the news that within 10 minutes we would be entering the blue grotto. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the blue grotto, it is a grotto (water cave) whose opening admits light in such a way that the water within shines with an electric blue hue. The grotto, a major Italian tourist attraction, was once a pool for Italian royalty and is now considered the emblem of the island of Capri. To get inside you must lay down in a tiny rowboat and enter only with the perfect movement of a wave or the boat will not make it through.

After the blue grotto we docked on the island and ate delicious delicious pizza. Shortly after we took the chairlift to the top of the entire island. I have been on hundreds of chairlifts in my life but this was definitely the first time without skis and a full on snow suit. Instead I found myself walking onto the lift in shorts and a tank with the Amalfi sun on my back... not to shabby. When we reached the top I was greeted by the most beautiful ocean view I have ever seen in my entire life (this is not an exaggeration). Unfortunately the pictures don't even begin to do this justice but after napping on the grass on the top for an hour or so, I awoke and I honestly felt like I was still dreaming or had risen to heaven. If you ever find yourself in Italy and do not see this view atop the island of Capri, I will find you and personally slap you in the face. 



The rest of the day consisted of us having one too many a toast at dinner, taking over an outdoor bar in Sorrento, and some late night wandering through hidden dirt roads. Success. The next day we went to Positano which, unfortunately, was not too kind in the weather department. The warm streets of Positano were filled with little boutiques, gelotto shoppes, and pizzerias and the beaches covered with black sand. For the majority of the day the sun was covered by a group of clouds which led me to college sea glass for about an hour and a half (you would be surprised by how little is necessary to entertain me). However, the day got brighter when I ordered the most bomb sandwich known to mankind at a tiny deli on the island. Mortadella, balsamic, cream cheese, tomatoes, spanish olives, and pesto... can't go wrong with that combo. As the shuttle for the first hostel of kids arrived the sun began to creep out which was unfortunate for those who had to leave but absolutely amazing for us. We took that opportunity to rent a boat for about an hour and decided to go cliff jumping!!!

Some of the kids on the boat!

Me in the middle of jumping!

Positano!

The last stop on the trip was Pompeii, the famous Italian city which was covered by volcanic ash after the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD. The city was so incredibly well preserved including the body casts of the victims of the eruption, thousands of years later! We saw incredible palaces, amphitheaters, and even a brothel. On the walls of the brothel there were meticulously painted sexual diagrams (pictures?) which served as the "menu" for customers. There were also penises molded and carved into the sidewalks of the town which helped point customers in the direction of the brothel (these Italians were no joke).

Jessica Preston in Pompeii!

All in all, I can say that my 12 day Italian expedition not only surprised, enlightened, and exhausted me but it also made me proud to be an Italian (cheesy I know)... but seriously, Italy is a fascinating country full of history, gorgeous landscapes, priceless artwork, amazing food, and sincere people. From the Venetian waterfront views and hiking in Cinque Terre to the grandeur of the David in Florence and the the Colosseum in Rome.. and ending the entire venture in the Amalfi Coast.. I feel truly blessed. It was the perfect country to finish my international travels with! 




No comments:

Post a Comment