Sunday, February 19, 2012

Morocco: Tangier, Asilah, Rabat (DAY ONE)

I doubt I will ever be able to say again that I hit four continents in less than two months. However, after departing South America for my short stint in New York... Europe was awaiting my arrival. I did not, however, think I would make it to Morocco, Africa within the first two weeks abroad! After a brutal overnight bus sans sleep we arrived at the southern tip of Spain where we were met by representatives of Morocco Exchange. We were greeted by Rachel, perhaps the worst trip leader in the history of exchange programs worldwide. I am not sure how to say it any nicer... she was simply a devastation... a disaster. We will touch upon that in the next post.

My first pleasant surprise occurred when we passed through customs in Africa and we walked through a metal detector that was not even on. While on the subject, I was also allowed to walk through the same metal detector upon departure with an open beer bottle in hand. Oh third world countries, how you never cease to amaze me. Within the first day I realized there were so many cultural differences that I have never experienced in any of my previous travels. For instance, if you are a woman you don't shake hands unless the man initiates, you NEVER show affection towards the opposite sex in public (but men walking hand in hand down the street is a completely normal display of heterosexual companionship). In fact, some Moroccans that we spoke with did not know that homosexuality existed in the universe until watching American films (that was insane to me). However, the method of poo wiping takes the case for the most absurd Moroccan custom. When Moroccans of middle or lower classes defecate, they wipe their bums with their bare hands... fact. I did not partake in this bathroom ritual, thankfully. Also, shoes on carpets are BIG no no. Because Muslims pray 5 times a day they like to keep their carpets clean. It is considered a huge form of disrespect to have any type of shoe on carpet. Morocco is generally a warm country, however, during the winter months the air outside is frigid... and Morocco doesn't believe in heat. Thus, I slept with 5/6 blankets every single night.

While in Tangier we visited a women's cooperative where local women can learn to read, write, sew, and use computers. We had lunch in the cooperative where four of us unlucky souls forgot the no vegetable policy and indulged in a salad... thankfully we were in the clear but thoughts of the double spouted fountain of fury that struck during Ecuador making its return, filled my anxious mind. Walking around the town was interesting because we are not allowed to take pictures of anyone (although I snuck a few) and they are all dressed in traditional Moroccan gear (the long cloaks with hoods that you would imagine the quintessential Moroccan citizen to wear).

Me and my friend, Charlie, in Tangier!

On our way from Tangier to Asilah we were lucky enough to ride camels on the beach! That experience gave me hope that perhaps one day I will enjoy riding horses as well, although the chances are unlikely. Asilah was, in my opinion, the most beautiful town we saw (although Chefchaouen comes in at a very close second). This coastal town is an art center and its walls are filled with colorful murals. One contained the names of those who have died in their attempt to swim from Morocco to Spain. Morocco is to Europe as Mexico is to the United States. Africans all over the continent flock to Morocco and attempt the treacherous swim to Spain in order to find better opportunities in Europe. All in all, the town was breathtaking and will probably remain one of the most quaint, beautiful towns I will ever visit.

 
Throwing up the deuces on dat camel.

The Walls of Asilah!

The Beach of Asilah!

Towards the end of the day we took a three hour bus ride to Rabat (the capital of Morocco). We all met our host families. I lived with Cathleen and Kelsey and our home was absolutely beautiful. It was the fourth home stay I have done in my life (Nicaragua, Quito, and Santa Barbara) and it was so completely different from any of the previous home stays not only because it was not in a Spanish speaking country but also because the hose was beautiful. I included a picture of my room below! We all ate dinner together, with our hands of course from a communal plate and went to bed!

The Palace

No comments:

Post a Comment